Sunday, February 24, 2008

My First Post

This is the first posting to what I hope will be an interesting and diverting place for myself and other to visit.


For quite sometime, I have been playing with the idea of starting a blog. It seemed such an egotistical thing to do! Create a place where I can explore any issue I want, air any grievances that takes my fancy. Let me rephrase that, a place where I can publicly say anything I want on any subject that I want and expect that someone would care to read it. Just the notion that someone might care to read it seems a little ridiculous to me, but I have finally done it.


So here I am with this brand new web site and suddenly I have nothing to say. That seems a bit odd. Everyday for the past week I have telling myself to save all sorts of transient thoughts for a quick little note to the web site, the blog that was coming. I had grand visions of writing lengthy scholarly dissertations on many of the hot topics of the day:


- Obama versus Clinton

- McCain versus Huckabee

- Are we in a recession

- or which young actress America would most like to see naked?


Well, as you can see from the list of topics, I seemed to have stored those ideas in some brain cells that have fallen victim to the large quantities of wine I drank last night. That being the case the best I can do for my introductory remarks is make clear to all of you just how unqualified I am to discuss any of these topics.


I am a 58 year old business consultant who lives in Madison Wisconsin. I have opinions that I always seem to be expressing as colorfully and loudly as possible. At least that is the impression that my wife children leave me. It seems every time I open my mouth they develop an urgent need that requires their leaving the room. I often find myself delivering my lectures on the important issues of the day to the furniture.

Of course, this has led me to believe that my arguments are very persuasive. In the end the furniture receives my words with a respectful silence. This I interpret as an experience similar to the shock and awe that President Bush is always talking about.

In reality, it is really a demonstration of how incredibly dumbfounding stupid these opinions are. In that sense it must be very similar to the experience President Bush has each time he speaks. In reality the ideas are so ill informed that even the furniture is frozen in an embarrassed silence.


In the outside world I am more circumspect. I have learned over the years to keep my own counsel. That sharing my opinions can have a decidedly unpleasant effect on my relationship with others. So perhaps it is only natural that when presented with a real opportunity to voice my opinion, I can not for the life of me remember having any.


Thanks.

No comments: